Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Time for a TIY

As I have said before, I love shopping. But when it comes to retiring my worn -yet beloved- clothing, I can't seem to say goodbye. There is a certain attachment I have with some of my favorite items. Even if they literally are hanging by a thread. Sadly, all good things must come to an end...or do they?

Inspired by the arrival of eBay's Selling Style Studio coming to West Village THIS Weekend (see my previous post if you haven't already!), I actually attempted to de-clutter my closet. Amidst my cleaning spree, I decided to wander into the abyss that is, my t-shirt drawer. As I dug through the black hole, I got nostalgic as I discovered some of my old favorites. I realize the whole point of cleaning out a closet is to get rid of the clutter, not add to it... right? Technically, yes. But thanks to Gap's partnership with Threadless, the charitable t-shirt company supporting emerging artists, I have found a way to keep some of my old favorite T's - minus the guilt
  


 

  The Gap + Threadless have teamed up and created a line of t-shirts with cool graphics and creative, artistic designs. Together they have started T.I.Y. (T-It-Yourself), a series of tutorials that show you how to convert your old t-shirts into, well, something else. Some of the projects include how to create your own wall art, comfy pillows, necklaces, and even stylish flip-flops. I chose make my own beach bag (probably because I can't get the beach off of my mind) using a vintage Key West t-shirt I bought years ago. I grabbed the only other two tools needed, a pair of scissors and a ruler, and five minutes later I had my own beach tote. Check out my crafty skills below!

 
Click here for a step-by-step guide on how you can make your own one of these fun totes for summer!

Look for a new project every Friday on Gap's facebook page for even  more creative ways to transform your old t-shirts. And if you fall in love with the T's they use in the projects, don't forget you can shop the Gap + Threadless collection at Gap!

West Village
3699 McKinney Ave. #500
Dallas, TX 75204
214-520-1843

 
Posted by Meredith Williams, Marketing Intern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment